Our dream is to ignite a Zoo revolution. Wellington Zoo is a team of powerfully passionate individuals who are champions for the welfare of all animals - within and beyond the boundaries of the Zoo. We are supported by a community that actively takes part in our commitment to caring for and saving species locally, nationally and globally.
We are guided by the ethos Me Tiaki, Kia Ora! We must look after our environment, so all things will flourish. We lead the way in modelling sustainable behaviours, and it is up to us collectively to make a difference for animals and the wild places they call home.
We have an exciting permanent full time vacancy for an Animal Care Team Leader – Carnivores.
The successful applicant will be responsible for the efficient and integrated daily operations of animal husbandry and management of the Zoo’s Carnivore section. They will also be accountable to our Animal Care Manager for ensuring our Keeping staff are supported and developed. They are responsible for the highest standards of animal husbandry, excellence in animal care and welfare, and providing our visitors with exciting message driven experiences.
To be considered for this opportunity you will need to have:
- A minimum of six years’ experience in animal management, husbandry and working with animals in human care, and a National Certificate in Animal Management - Captive Wild Animals (or equivalent) or University degree in a Zoological related discipline
- Substantial experience providing husbandry care and species management across a variety of carnivore species.
- Experience in habitat maintenance and the ability to design, review and develop habitats that maximise the connections with animals for visitors
- Demonstrated experience motivating, coaching and developing staff
- Sound knowledge of the World Zoo and Aquarium (WAZA) Conservation Strategy, WAZA Animal Welfare Strategy and the five domains of animal welfare.
- Effective planning, organising, time management and written and verbal communication skills.
Applications close end of business Sunday 18th November 2018.
For more information on this vacancy please download the Job Description and for more information on Wellington Zoo please visit https://wellingtonzoo.com